Wednesday, August 3, 2011

We Learn From Everyone We Meet: By Barry Roberts

As a speaker, my topics all have to do with how we can use our sense of humor to improve our lives I had just finished an engagement in San Francisco, a city I really enjoy, so I stayed for an extra day. I spent most of that day on my own walking tour of the city. Sad to say, there are many homeless in San Francisco and while I have great empathy for all of them, I cannot offer money to each one that approaches me on the street.

It had been a long day and I was headed back to my hotel with an arm full of gifts and my camera, when I saw her heading straight towards me. She was fairly young, with few teeth, looking very much like the rest fo the street people I had encountered that day. As she came to me, I must admit I was not listening to what she said and I had my reply all ready. “Sorry, I can’t help you today”, I said and kept walking.

After I passed I realized what she had said to me; “I’m not asking for any money, just your credit card and pin number for about an hour.” This with a big smile on her face.

Hey! She had a sense of humor and was attempting to use it to help herself.

I spend my days trying to teach this to business people who, for the most part, have everything they need and many of them just don’t get it. This woman lives on the street, in rags and a cardboard box and SHE GETS IT!! How could I not help her out?

I turned quickly and spotted her making a bee line for her next mark. I picked up the pace, caught up to her and said, “Look, you’re not getting my credit card or pin number, but I hope this helps and wish you good luck.”

She tucked the $5 in her blouse and replied, again with a huge smile, “Thanks…when you live on the street and have nothing else, you gotta have a sense of humor. God bless you, sir.”

Wow! For me that was so powerful. You can learn a valuable lesson from everyone you meet.

Enjoy more of my blog posts at http://tinyurl.com/246w4d5. http://www.barryroberts.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment